Thursday, July 8, 2010

So I was in the shower thinking about names.
I was going to ask my sister if she knew someone named Joe in the high school.
And I realized I didn't know his last name.

I was very deeply thinking about this concept.
I was thinking about all of the names in the world.
I thought about every single name I know that more than five people in my high school had.

Now why in the world is it popular to name your child a name like Joe or John?
Aside from the actual meaning or how nice the name sounds or if someone else in your family has that name... doesn't it take away from the name and the meaning if a good percentage of the people in the country have the same name as you?

Take a name like Amanda for example.
If there are over five Amanda's that you go to school with, where is the individuality in the name itself?

I just think it would be nice to have a name that if anything, you share with only a handful of people rather than every other person you pass by on the street.
I'm not sure if I'm being biased because my name is unique, but I just think it's nice to have a name that no one else I've met has.

No comments:

Post a Comment